12/22 UPDATE: Holiday Hours posted and notice of service suspension on Jan. 2nd. Ambassadors will visit all downtown restaurants and retailers with updated flyers this week.
12/2 UPDATE: In response to changing demand for this program Sunday hours are now 11am to 9pm.
ABOUT THE SAFETY ESCORT PROGRAM
The Burlington Business Association in partnership with the City of Burlington is expanding its Downtown Safety program. The Burlington Downtown Ambassador Program will run through the holiday season and will provide critically needed services to the downtown community. Green Mountain Concert Services will provide Downtown Ambassadors from 2pm to Midnight, Wednesday through Saturday and Sunday 11am to 9pm.
Ambassadors will ensure visitors have an inviting, informed, and safe visit to Burlington. They will also be a resource for downtown workers, helping them get to and from their workplace safely and coordinate with Howard Center Street Outreach and BPD. Downtown Ambassadors will be trained in ordinance education and de-escalation.
The Ambassadors will:
- Provide downtown retail, restaurant, and hospitality staff with a safe escort to or from their vehicle, building, hotel, or workplace within the downtown.
- To request a safety escort call or text 802-404-3444
- Be additional “eyes and ears” downtown, interfacing with BPD, Howard Center Street Outreach, and other community partners.
- Actively de-escalate disruptive disturbances downtown
- Educate members of the community about City ordinances including open containers and smoking and biking on Church Street.
- Assist visitors with wayfinding to parking, public restrooms, and other amenities
- Utilize SeeClickFix to report graffiti, found needles, and other non-emergency issues
This program is funded by the City of Burlington and private donations.
We are still seeking private donations to expand hours and extend this program beyond the holidays. Contribute to fund trained Safety Ambassadors in our Downtown so everyone gets home safe.
THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS
Their early support of this program makes it possible.
Downs Rachlin Martin PLLC