The BBA is Asking YOU to Adopt Your Sidewalk!
What Does that Mean?
- The BBA is asking business and property owners to sign up and pledge to adopt the sidewalk in front of their business!
- By adopting their sidewalk, businesses are committing to cleaning and maintaining that area.
- By joining together, businesses downtown can each do a small part to make a big impact on the cleanliness of Burlington. Help create an atmosphere of positive energy and communicate to residents and visitors that this is a welcoming, tight-knit community that works together to care for our downtown.
What Can I Do?
- If you are a downtown business or property owner, just sign up and pledge to Adopt Your Sidewalk!
- Once you’ve signed up, you’ll receive info about our campaign, dates to be aware of and suggestions and resources for things you can do.
- Download and print out our handy Downloadable Clean Up Checklist for suggestions like:
- Sweep the sidewalk
- Plant flowers in flower boxes and planters
- Clean and maintain greenbelt: Download the guide to Caring for your Trees and Green Belt, a brochure with info created by the city’s Arborist, Warren Spinner and the Branch Out Burlington program
- Care for existing trees or apply to have one planted with Tree Keeper program
- Clear trash and debris out of tree pits and gutters
- Pick up cigarette butts
- Peel stickers off of signs, parking meters, bike lock posts, hand rails
- Shovel snow, especially between meters
- Pick up trash
- Add lighting
- Power wash sidewalks and walls
- Place welcoming signs
- Use See-Click-Fix to report things to the city like sidewalk cracks, abandoned bikes etc.
- Contact BPD’s Graffiti Removal Team for information on cleaning up tags on walls/ doors etc.